Employing a domestic worker means you will have to register with HMRC as an employer.

As an employer you will be legally required to

  • Hold an Employer’s Liability Insurance
  • Provide your nanny/household staff with payslips through payroll. You can do this online with HMRC yourself or use a payroll company.
  • Provide Workplace Pension for your nanny/household staff

We recommend using NannyTax, the payroll provider for nanny employers. From Payroll and HR support to pension and insurance services, Nannytax offers a complete nanny employment service for you and your family.

For any other household staff please visit StaffTax.


Tax Free Childcare is a government scheme to help working parents with their childcare cost. If you are eligible and would lie to use Tax Free Childcare your nanny will have to be Ofsted registered. We can assist nannies with the registration. The cost of the Ofsted registration is £103 per year and the employer will usually cover this.

For more information about Tax Free Childcare please visit Childcare Choices.